Welcome to Hampton, VA
Hampton, Virginia is one of the oldest cities in the U.S. and claims to be the oldest continuously occupied English settlement in the United States. Settled in the 1600's, by Christopher Newport, Hampton was incorporated in the 1849 and has been growing ever since. Several smaller cities, such as Pheobus and Kecoughtan became part of Hampton as time went by. According to the latest census, the city is home to 137,436 people.
- Hampton University- In 1831, Hampton University was a place for free slaves to be educated. It was the site of the first reading of the Emancapation Proclaimation in the South, and the Emancapation Oak, the tree under which it was read, still stands on campus. Hampton University's most famous graduate, Booker T. Washington, founded Tuskeegee Institute.
- Ft Monroe- The largest stone fort built in America, it was formally named "Old Point Comfort" and has been in use for almost 400 years, as a military base and now as a new endeavor, a park, with beaches and the Casemate Museum.
- Peninsula Town Center- an investment for the future, is a new urbanism-type project features a wide mix of retail stores, housing and other attractions. Signature Place is close to Peninsula Town Center.
- Langley Air Force Base- LAFB was established after WW I in April 1917. This is one of the oldest facilities of the U.S. Air Force and has recently been combined with Ft. Eustis in Newport News.
- Buckroe Beach- 3/4 miles of clean beach with Kayak Rentals, paddle boats and a playground. There are also grilling stations and rest rooms open from May-September.
- Sandy Bottom Nature Park- minutes away from our Hampton apartments, this 456 acre park has trails, playgrounds and more. It is reclaimed from a garbage dump.
comments powered by Disqus