10 Summer Smoothie Recipes
Summer has finally reached its peak for high heat, and you may find your appetite and your tastes changing. After all, when the heat rises, our appetites tend to fade, and the thought of reaching for a heavy meal on a steamy afternoon just sounds downright uncomfortable. When August comes around in Coastal Virginia, it's time to give your stove the summer vacation it deserves, and begin reaching for cool, refreshing smoothies to keep your energy up without weighing you down.
We know that drinking your meals can sound less than appealing, but with the right mix of ingredients and flavors, you'll find smoothie drinking to be satisfying, delicious and a welcome change for your whole family, especially in these hot, summer months. We've chosen 10 smoothies that satisfy our hunger, nutritional needs and incorporate a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. They also pack a solid punch with protein sources that are nourishing and restorative after strong workouts or long, busy days.
So, take a break from your traditional summer fare, and stock up on ripe peaches, bananas, local honey, almond milk, greens and avocados, and you'll be on your way to feeling cool, refreshed and satisfied, all summer long.
- Peachy-Green Protein Smoothie. Ripe peaches are in season, so swap out frozen peaches for fresh peaches and make this smoothie a seasonal treat! Packed with kale and ground flaxseeds, you'll get an extra pop of fiber and omega fats when you sip this sweet smoothie.
- Paleo Peach Coconut Smoothie. Made with full fat coconut milk, ripe, seasonal peaches and raw, unflitered honey, this paleo treat is packed with vitamins, healthy fats and natural anti-inflammatories to have you feeling satisfied and cool, any time of day.
- Pina Avocado Smoothie. Fresh, fruity, sweet and packed with vitamin C and omega fats to keep your belly full and your brain charged, this smoothie is a healthy and COOL alternative to lunch on a hot, steamy day.
- Almond Butter Shake. Thick, creamy, satisfying and completely dairy-free, you'll want to grab this smoothie after a long, hard workout to cool down and fill back up.
- Grab-n-Go Chocolate Power Shake. This completely vegan smoothie recipe tastes indulgent, but won't weigh you down with excess sugar, calories and fats. It tastes as good as it feels going down, and you'll want to reach for this decadent-flavored smoothie when you need a pick-me-up on the go.
- Green Tea Fruit Smoothie. Packed full of antioxidants, ripe peaches, fresh lemon and raw honey, this smoothie is as good for you as it tastes. When you need to wake up and go while staying cool and refreshed, grab this smoothie for your perfect solution.
- Skinny Mocha Java Protein Smoothie. This smoothie is the ultimate breakfast on the go, with a perfect blend of protein and caffeine to keep you going strong all the way to lunch.
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie. Thick, creamy and packed with healthy fats, dense fiber, ripe banana and soy milk, this recipe will keep you satisfied and full, while curbing cravings and without weighing you down.
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie with Chia Seeds. This vegan, nutritious take on a classic strawberry and banana smoothie is smooth, satisfying, sweet and refreshing, and perfect for any member of your family.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie. When it's just too hot to sit outside with a sandwich, switch it up and whip up this magnificent pb&j smoothie to help you satisfy your craving without weighing you down (and all while cooling you off!).
Photo | Daily Burn
Filed Under: Life in Hampton, VA
Mira Roberts studied writing at New York University, graduating with a BA in English Literature before pursuing a career in media, marketing and management with PARADE Magazine, Portfolio Magazine, AltDaily, skirt! and lululemon athletica. A full time mother, writing instructor and part-time freelance writer, Mira lives and laughs with her family in Norfolk, VA.
comments powered by Disqus